In peacetime powder and grenades were stored in large ammunition stores, primarily at the island of Amager. Only at the prospect of war, the ammunition was brought out to the stronghold. However, some small ammunition stores were placed at the stronghold in 1886.
The Ammunition Stores from 1904
Because of this, V.H.O. Madsen, Minister of War, starts construction of some gunpowder magazines in the Western Enceinte. Here the ammunition could be stored under safer conditions than in the bigger stores and, where appropriate, easily transported in addition to these.
The “Madsen” gunpowder magazines are finished in 1904.
This leads to a political crisis when some from the political opposition realizes that these stores could also be used for shelter by the soldiers in war conditions.